Sunday, March 05, 2006

Live From The Red Carpet...It's Carly's Avatar

"Life is a B movie; its stupid and it's strange, it's a directionless story, the dialogue is lame, but in the ' he said, she said' sometimes there's some poetry, if you turn your back long enough and let it happen naturally."

-Ani Difranco

It's OSCAR time. :) I like watching the Academy Awards, although I haven't really paid much attention in recent years. Sometimes, I would flip the channels between whatever documentary was playing on the History Channel, and the OSCARS just to se what everyone was wearing. This year I am missing my old friend June. I have mentioned her before, she was the lady who used to insist I come to her OSCAR and New Year's Eve, fancy, smancy parties, and kick up my heels. I would always reluctantly say yes, and within 10 or 15 minutes after my arrival, there I would be, kicking up my heels. LOL. She knew some interesting people. People from all different backgrounds and cultures. She was an interesting and refined woman, who loved the theatre, the symphony and the ballet. She was a free-thinker, and a democrat. She couldn't stand poor behavior by anyone, but she could certainly let loose and enjoy herself. I miss her, but just when I get way too blue in my grief for her, I can hear her saying to me..."Come on kid, times awasting." :)

So tonight, since Alan is working, I will probably cuddle up with my date, Elvis, and get all snuggly warm in my flannel PJ's and eat something sinfully decadent while I watch the program on television. But if I were going to a local OSCAR party, I would definitely be wearing the black dress on the left! It is a Nicole Miller gown, that I found at Neiman Marcus online, just after New Year's. I know that all the fashion gurus are saying this year's red carpet fashions are going to be about color, red is a favorite, but I love the classic lines of this dress, and black is always a good choice. So, to add a splash of color to the outfit I would probably go with some ruby red pumps with a matching evening purse. Something simple and unfussy. I think with that neckline maybe a ruby choker, or a ruby Y necklace would be perfect. You don't want to over do it.

If I was actually going to the Academy Awards...no doubt about it. You can't go wrong the Badgeley Mischka. Again, I found this dress at Neiman Marcus online. I love the color, and it would need very little as far as accessories go. I think I would wear my hair down however, and maybe wear something fun like a Swarovski crystal dragonfly hair clip or something similar. Can you tell I like girly stuff? LOL . Sigh. Well, I will just have to be happy with my cute little Yahoo Avatar attending the awards ceremonies and parties on my behalf. See her on my sidebar? Tee Hee. She is wearing that gorgeous green evening gown, and has her version of Elvis by her side. :) Don't they make a stylish pair? :) I love that avatar, I like change her clothes everyday to reflect as close as possible what I am wearing (IRL). It's a fun way to let a little more about who I am, and what my personal style is like, to shine through. Do you have an avatar on your sidebar? And if so, are they going to the Academy Awards? :)

Now, on to the nominees, and my picks for the winners in the major categories...

Best Film: Goodnight and Good Luck
Best Actor: Phillip Seymour Hoffman- Capote
Best Actress: Reese Witherspoon- Walk The Line
Felicity Huffman- Transamerica
Best Supporting Actor: William Hurt- A History of Violence
Best Supporting Actress- Frances McDormond- North Country
Best Director- George Clooney-Goodnight and Good Luck

Well, that's my thoughts on the 78th Academy Awards. How about you? Do you watch the show? Do you have a favorite to win? Have you ever gone to an OSCAR party or thrown one? If you could go to the actual ceremony itself, who would you ask to be your fantasy date for the evening? And what delicious meal would you want after the awards show? Something prepared by Wolfgang Puck or White Castle? LOL. I'll share if you will! LOL.

-OndineMonet

4 comments:

DesLily said...

Lessee.. yep I definately watch the Oscars and all the award shows. Like you, I won't enjoy it as much as I have in other years partly because I haven't seen any of the movies up for awards. (it's a sad sad day since i love movies and haven't seen any)

I've never gone to an Oscar party but if i were to go to the actual ceremony my dream date would be.. hmmmmm, George Lucas, Harrison Ford or Sean Connery lol.. nope, just can't make a decision there!

SolitaryDancer said...

You've got the best Oscar date around. Nothing beats going to the Oscars with Elvis. :-) Have a great snuggly evening

Karen Funk Blocher said...

I almost never watch the Academy Awards, because they rarely involve any movies I've actually seen. I will check out the Yahoo avatar generator, though. The last one i tried was in Japanese, and I just could not figure it out!

Karen

sunflowerkat said...

Those are a couple of beautiful dresses....and I'm sure you'd be stunning in either one.
:)

I turned on the tv as I got into bed and they were honoring Robert Altman. That's all I saw....I immediately conked out.