Friday, March 31, 2006

John Scalzi's Weekend Assignment #105: Share A Favorite Poem

"Poetry is not a turning loose of emotion, but an escape from emotion; it is not expression of personality, but an escape from personality. But, of course, only those who have personality and emotion know what it means to escape from these."

-Emily Dickinson

Weekend Assignment #105: Share a favorite poem.

Extra Credit: Ever write poetry yourself?

-John Scalzi

I love poetry, and have many books, and the collected works, of many different poets, but on cold, rainy evenings...no matter what season it might be...I always seem read Elizabeth Barrett Browning. Her poetry just soothes my soul, and stirs all kinds of memories that warm me like the most comfortable of blankets. The sound of the rain outside, like tonight, inspires me to feel and dream. Sigh.

Sonnets from the Portuguese X
By Elizabeth Barrett Browning

Yet, love, mere love is beautiful indeed
And worthy of acceptation. Fire is bright
Let temple burn, or flax; and equal light
Leaps in the flame from cedar-plank or weed
And love is fire. And when I say at need I love thee
I love thee in thy sight, I stand transfigured, glorified aright,
With conscience of the new rays that proceed
Out of my face toward thine.
There's nothing low in love, when love the lowest:
Meanest creatures who love God, God accepts while loving so
And what I feel across the inferior features
Of what I am, doth flash itself, and show
How that great work of Love enhances Nature's.

Extra Credit: Nope...I don't have a lot of talent in that area. :)

-OndineMonet
"Three"
Marin County, California
Autumn, 2005
Early Evening

1 comment:

Karen Funk Blocher said...

Somewhere I still have a book called Dogs Dogs Dogs Dogs Dogs, which I got when I was about ten years old. It has a bit in it about Elizabeth Barrett Browning's Dog, Flush. Did you know that Virginia Woolf wrote a biography of Flush? And I can't prove it, but I think there was at least one letter "from" Flush to Robert Browning.

This irrelevant tangent is brought to you by...