Thursday, March 30, 2006

Ellipsis Flashback: 3/30/04: 8 Legged Diphead



Hi Everyone :)

I am completely exhausted tonight, after a long rainy day here in the Bay Area. We actually set a record for the most rainfall in the month of March. The previous record was set in march of 1904. If we have one more day of rain, it will surpass that record! The Weather Channel, predicts that we will be experiencing some especially cold weather the next few days, so there is a pretty good chance that record will be broke.

Anyway, I have some blog jogging to do tonight, to visit the Round Robins and see their current challenge entries, so here is an Ellipsis Flashback from March of 2004. It seemed to bring a giggle or two, so I hope you enjoy it again. :)

Carly :)

"I will not eat oysters. I want my food dead. Not sick. Not wounded. Dead."

-Woody Allen

Eight Legged Dip Head

By Carly

Kachoo, kachoo, kachoo. I always sneeze in threes. Anyway, I thought with Martha Stewart otherwise engaged, I might audition for Journal Land's "Maven Of Good Living," position. This is my original recipe for those intimate little get togethers of eight or so people. This recipe is best served in low lighting, accompanied by a sturdy little wine such as Ripple, Nyquil or if you are feeling classy...Cold Duck. Don't forget finger bowls and fresh flowers are an entertaining must!

1 Fully intact, freshly deceased Octopus
5 lbs. Velveeta, cut into cubes for melting
24 Radishes
3lbs. Pre-softened Chive or Vegetable Cream Cheese
1 Jar Baby Gherkins...definietly don't but the adult Gherkins
8 Individual Ginsu knives

Carefully remove your freshly deceased octopus from the original packaging. Cut a large round hole in the top of the octopus's head, similar to the carving of a pumpkin. Remove the innards and set aside. Immediately place a disposable bowl inside the cranial cavity for optimal shaping.

Place the octopus with it's tenacles stretched out in eight directions, place garnish of choice around it on a nice serving platter. A nice choice would be Crabapples or Fig Newtons.

Melt the Velveeta in a microwave safe container till creamy. Fill the bowl in the Octopus's head with the melted cheese. Spread the underside of each tentacle with one inch of the room temperature cream cheese, and fasten alternately with a decorative toothpick one radish and one Baby Gherkin per section. Roll each tentacle into thirds.

Place the octopus so it's eyes and beak are facing your guest of honor. Use the Ginsu knives for easy cutting and dipping of your tentacle. Enjoy!

Serves 8

Note: I am pretty sure this recipe isn't Atkins friendly.

-OndineMonet
"Party Girl"
Berkeley, California
March 2005
Evening

4 comments:

SolitaryDancer said...

As always you bring a smile to my face. This time it went from a smile to a great big laugh. :-)

I love you and your journal.

Hugs my friend,

Deb

Charley said...

Carly, I hate to be a perv, but I thought for sure you were posting about blow-up dolls :)

Charley
http://journals.aol.com/cdittric77/courage

V said...

Funny Woody Quote!
V

Karen Funk Blocher said...

Well, it's not terribly high carb, but I still wouldn't eat it. Octopus is high on my list of non-foods! Yeegh. Maybe you could do octopus-shaped omelettes instead? - Karen