Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Ashby Avenue Macaroni & Cheese



"A gourmet who thinks of calories, is like a tart who looks at there watch.

-James Beard

I haven't done a recipe entry since late January, so I thought this might be a good time to do one. I love eating meatless meals. Since Alan had to work last Sunday night, it was the perfect time to have a nice, big salad and some Macaroni & Cheese. :) Oh don't get me wrong, he likes my vegetarian recipes, but he is a BIG fan of good old meat and potatoes. So am I come to think of it, and I hope to be able to start preparing some BBQ recipes for the blog soon. I have started a recipe file blog to keep track of the recipes I have posted, so that I don't inadvertently post the same one twice. I also thought it might be a nice way for you to be able to find my recipe entries more easily, if one in particular sounded like one you would like to try. :) I first made the following recipe about 10 years ago, it took me several tries to come up with just the right combination, but once I did...yum! :)

Ashby Avenue Macaroni & Cheese

1 lb.pkg Macaroni noodles
3/4 cup finely crushed Dorito's chips
1/2 cup Sour Cream
1/2 cup shredded Vermont White Cheddar
1/2 cup shredded Yellow Cheddar
1/4 cup shredded Romano cheese
1/4 cup Prima Donna Gouda
1/4 cup finely crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
1 1/2 tbs ground pepper
1/2 tsp. Ground Nutmeg

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Boil macaroni according to package directions. While the macaroni is cooking, shred and blend all the cheese together, except the Gorgonzola, in a medium mixing bowl, set aside. In a separate bowl, combine the crushed Dorito's and the finely crumbled Gorgonzola. Drain macaroni and place in a 2 qt. baking dish. Slowly, stir in the sour cream, and blend well, stir in nutmeg. Next, stir in the dry cheese mixture and stir well to blend. Add additional sour cream if necessary. Top with the Dorito's/Gorgonzola mixture, and bake for 35 minutes in a 400 degree oven until brown and bubbly on top.

Serves 4 1/2 cup servings


-OndineMonet
Ashby Avenue Macaroni & Cheese
Berkeley, California
March 5th, 2006
Early Evening

2 comments:

Steven said...

Mmmmmmmm.... Doritos! Cheese and more cheese is a wonderful dish. Just made me hungry.

V said...

Looks great!
V