Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Mavericks

Click on the above photograph to see a larger version.

"Surfing soothes me, it's always been a kind of Zen experience for me. The ocean is so magnificent, peaceful and awesome. The rest of the world disappears for me when I am on a wave."

-Paul Walker

We had an incredible day yesterday. Temperatures in the Bay Area were in the mid-70's which meant there were record temperature highs. Perfect weather and conditions for the annual Mavericks Surfing Contest, held in Half Moon Bay, California. The annual contest draws surfers from around the world to compete, with the top prize at $30,000. This year the winner was from South Africa. Grant Baker was named the winner for having scored two perfect 10's for his wave riding. "That's the best I have ever surfed," he said, "it's the best I have ever done." The second and third prizes were awarded to two local men.

It was magnificent. The water was a gorgeous, clear aqua blue...and not a bit of fog or mist. It wasn't the typical February day. :) My the ocean producing waves that at times reached over 25 feet. The sun...oh the sun...and the bathing suits. It all came together to give me a much needed break from the painful joints. I had a very good time. And when we were finished at Half Moon Bay, watching the waves, it was time to head up the coast to San Francisco to see the waves at Fort Point.

There is nothing like sitting under the Golden Gate Bridge, watching those huge waves coming breaking around the corner into the bay. :) It was a lot of fun to watch the local surfers ride the waves under the Golden Gate and avoid the rocks along the waters edge. Not to mention the fact that just sitting on the water front under the bridge is an experience like no other. You feel so little and at the same time you feel like you can just reach right up and touch the bridge. This place is one of my favorite places to feel good. The water, the sun, the waves, the bridge and the winter sun. Now that is a Zen experience. :) And last night...I slept without pain.

"South African's Perfect Rides Lock Up Maverick's Title" KTVU

Visit my Photo Journal to see my evening photographs from Twin Peaks!

-OndineMonet
"Surfing Moments"
Half Moon Bay, San Francisco, California
February 6th, 2005

4 comments:

Karen Funk Blocher said...

Love that first shot. Just think, a few seconds later, that wave and that shape was gone - and another one was coming along behind it. Awesome! And I'm glad you had a good night. - Karen

Cindy said...

I'm so happy you had a great trip and a good night for sleeping. Sorry I've been away...a lot going on at my house. =(

I will answer your e-mail soon. Thanks for keeping in touch.
tons of hugs, Phin

V said...

I hadn`t even known of big waves in your bay. Neat!
V

Becky said...

OMG I am such a doof! I totally forgot you live in the San Fran area too! I missed a chance to meet you! Dang! Ah well... Next visit!