Thursday, January 05, 2006

Well, Ok, But Can You Use It In A Sentence?

"Man does not live by words alone, despite the fact that he sometimes has to eat them."

- Adlai Stevenson

Each year, Merriam Webster announces it's list of the Top 10 words that were researched the most through it's online dictionary web sites. The number 1 word for 2005 is the word Integrity. What an interesting word to choose, considering the complete lack of which has been displayed this past year. In more then just politics I might add. Well, on the other hand if I inspired folks to look up the literal translation to see if they either needed some, wanted to know if they had it, or wanted to see if they were correct in their assessment of it's absence, it is still a good thing to know that folks still turn to a dictionary once in a while. I like the list for 2005, some of my very favorite words made the Top 10, so , I thought it might be nice if I took each word and used it in a sentence...

1. Integrity: Firm adherence to a code, especially moral or artistic values; incorruptibility.

I think it showed a stunning lack of integrity for George Bush to appoint someone, as unqualified as Michael Brown, to the position of the head of FEMA.

2. Refugee: One that flees; especially a person who flees to a foreign country or power to escape danger or persecution.

On November 15th, 2005, I became a journal refugee, to Blogpsot, rather then have my journal used as a billboard for advertising on AOL.

3. Contempt: Willful disobedience to or open disrespect of a court, judge or legislative body.

Judith Miller, of the New York Times, was held in contempt of court for refusing to divulge the source that she interviewed in connection with the CIA leak case.

4. Filibuster: The use of extreme dilatory tactics in an attempt to delay or prevent action, especially in a legislative assembly.

Oh, wouldn't a nice long filibuster just about hit the spot?

5. Insipid: Lacking in qualities that interest, stimulate or challenge; dull, flat.

Last night I dreamed that I went on a date with George Bush. Alas ,the date did not go well, it seems he had such an insipid wit that I mistook him for a bowling ball.

6. Tsunami: A great sea wave produced especially by submarine earth movement or volcanic eruption.

Sometimes, during the tide and flux of leaving AOL, my sidebar seemed as if it had been hit by a tsunami .

7. Pandemic: Occurring over a wide geographic area and affecting an exceptionally high proportion of the population.

Considering how many could be affected should a pandemic occur, I wonder why we are still so unprepared?

8. Conclave: A private meeting or secret assembly, especially a meeting secluded while continuously while choosing a pope.

A conclave isn't just for choosing popes, they work for grand juries too.

9. Levee: An embankment for preventing flooding; a continuous dike or ridge ( as of earth) for the irrigation areas of land to be flooded.

"I drove my Chevy to the levee, but the levee was dry." -From American Pie

10. Inept: Generally incompetent, bungling.

It is my opinion that George Bush isn't just insipid...he's also inept. :)

If you want to play along, leave your "Used in a sentence" examples of these words in the comment section for this entry or post it on your blog and come back here and leave me a link. I would love to see what you come up with.

What words do you think will make it on the list for 2006? I predict "Indictment, Plea, and Ooopsy." :)

-OndineMonet
"Yellow, Red And Blue" By Kandinsky



6 comments:

Karen Funk Blocher said...

Aww, I'm too tired to play tonight! Maybe tomorrow I can come up with a comment less insipid than this one. - K.

Chris said...

OMG! You must have been reading my mind! First, you did this just at the right time and here's my post:

http://itsallaboutmeithink.blogspot.com/2006/01/just-yes-or-no-please.html#links

Second, you gave the most perfect examples with all those words. lol. Finally, someone feels the same way I do!

SolitaryDancer said...

I'll have to think about a good word, but in the meantime I am amazed that integrity made the list.

Where's the integrity? I still haven't found it.

TJ said...

I can't quit laughing...Bush a bowling ball!
Great entry Carly!

Becky said...

LOL Great list! And I LOVE LOVE LOVE Kandinsky!

V said...

INTEGRITY! Who wouldda guessed!
V