Thursday, December 15, 2005

Squirrely At Christmas


"Perhaps the best Yuletide decoration is being wreathed in smiles."

-Unknown

Ok, so I am standing in the very narrow aisle of Albertson's grocerie store having the most bizarre conversation with Alan, when all of a sudden it dawned on me...I am a bit squirrelly at times. LOL. Now, I have been noticing for months that I have been losing words and mismatching my verbs and other assorted grammar boo-boos, and frankly it had me somewhat concerned. It all made a lot more sense when my doctor went over the list of symptoms for Fibromyaliga, and sure enough one of the problems one will experience will be difficulty in concentrating. This is also a symptom of Epstein-Barr, the difference is it doesn't take me 20 minutes or more to come up with common words when I am having an Epstein-Barr flare-up, but it does with the Fibromyalgia. Sometimes it can be even more severe, resulting in my not being able to get a whole sentence articulated, that's when I worry. Who wants to seem, "not quite right?" Right? This can be a very judgmental world.

I am taking things slow, following the wonderful advice that I have received from all of you who have either emailed me or left comments with suggestions. Shelly, is right, I have to learn to find my pace, I am new to this and I am in the early stages so I am still educating myself as how to proceed, there is no real reason why I can't lead a somewhat normal life if I want to. So, it's a support group after the first of the year, so I can give as well as get some support and a class in Tai Chi, to keep my muscles in shape. Today was a good day. I was thinking clearly, and I even took a trip to the top of Twin Peaks and got some lovely shots of the city. I am crossing my fingers that I will be able to go next week and do some night shots of San Francisco from Twin Peaks ...the view is stunning.

But sometimes, like at Albertson's the other day I have my moments which remind me of how human I really am. But even I can see the humor in being human, after all if you can't laugh at yourself...others will just do it for you. :) So, here is how the conversation went...

Alan: Carly, do you want to make some cookies or brownies this weekend?

Carly: Well, how about some double chocolate brownies with some chopped Peppermint Patties added on top during the last 5 minutes so they make the brownies taste all minty?

Alan: That sounds good.

Carly: Ok, let me look at the box to get the directions.

Alan: Ok, I will go and get some Peppermint Patties

(During this time in our story our heroine is reading the back of the box of brownies to get the very complicated directions.

Alan: Here are the Peppermint Patties

Carly: I can't believe the directions they have printed on the box! They must be owned by Stouffer's. Look at this...(Carly points to the back of the box) It says use 2 cups unwrapped York Peppermint Patties. What in the world are they thinking? I mean, what kind of recipe would call for leaving the wrappers on. Maybe because the foil would give it a fancy look. Shrug.

Alan:Ummm...Carly...let me see the box please.

Carly: See right there (Carly Pointing to the directions in question).

Alan: Umm...Carly...The directions are right.

Carly: How can THAT be?! Is this like your ridiculous explanation about how you sex a chicken.

(At this time, I hadn't noticed that there was a child of about 7 years of age with his mother standing directly behind me).

Carly: Remember how you tried to tell me that all you had to do was run your fingers between the chickens leg to make he or she flab their wings? Sheesh.

Small child of about 7 years of age: Well, wouldn't it make them flap their wings?

Alan: Laughing his butt off

Mother of the small child: Laughing her butt off.

Child of about 7 years of age: Laughing his butt off.

(Chortles all around).

Carly: Alan, lets get back to the situation with the Peppermint patties...shall weeeeeeeee!!!!!!???? Said Carly, unamused.

Alan: Honey, read the directions slowly.

Carly: Yadda Yadda Yadda...eggs...water...Yadda...OH! UNWRAPPED Peppermint Patties means you take them out of the wrapping. Oh, Never Mind! (Spoken as Emily Latilla).

Now about the squirrel...this past September, Alan and I went on a trip down the 17 Mile drive. The squirrels along the drive are very friendly and will come right up to greet you. They love little offerings of pretzels and cookies, well a lady who was sitting on one of the benches next to me was about to toss the little fella a cheese cracker, but dropped a Starlight Mint by accident. The squirrel LOVED it! It completely rocked his world. That was a fun day...and minty too. Ok, so I am a bit dingy these days...I am never boring. It's all just one more thing. :) I am happy this holiday season, and that is a very nice feeling. :) Thanks everyone. :)

-OndineMonet
"Minty Goodness"
Pacific Grove 17 Mile Drive
September, 2005
Afternoon

8 comments:

Karen Funk Blocher said...

You dear, wonderful, silly person! As long as you can laugh, I know you'll be all right. And I love, love, love the squirrel! - Karen

Cindy said...

I love that you're happy!!! ::smiling::

I'm telling you, you and I in a grocery store would be a trip! hehehe! i had double-the-fun yesterday with my friend Valerie, the grocery store AND the laundromat! (her fancy-ass Neptune washer broke-!) We had SUCH FUN!

I have never seen such squirrels as those you meet. Lookie his little peppermint-pink tongue even! tooooo funny! xoxoxo Phinney

Chris said...

Carly, I'm so glad you are happy this season. Can you rub some of that on me? I am Scrooge to the max. Truly. I am. Bah humbug to me. But you? You go girl. ;)

sunflowerkat said...

Not only are you able to laugh at yourself sweetie...but you share your life with us in such a charming and delightful way. Thanks for making me smile. I just want to reach out and {{{{{{{{{HUG}}}}}}} you!!!

TJ said...

I hope that med helps with your pain. It sure hasn't hurt your attitude...
Loved your entry.

Love TJ~

ohh easy word verify..I have run into a few tuffies tonight.dah!

Dave said...

Thanks, Carly, I needed that laugh!

V said...

Hehehehe,
V

amy said...

Where in the hell did you get that picture of MOI??!!!