Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Art About Town -Berkeley

"How rich art is; if one can only remember what one has seen, one is never without food for thought or truly lonely, never alone."

-Vincent Van Gogh

Berkeley is a town filled with art. There are murals, and commissioned art pieces and sculptures all over the city, and on the Cal Berkeley college campus. In fact, there are over 40 pieces of art that cover the grounds of the university. Sculptures of all different images and ideas. There are gods and goddesses, abstracts and, of course, there are many different bear sculptures that pay homage to the school mascot a golden bear named Oski. They are all truly fascinating, but it is this sculpture in particular that I enjoy looking at the most, and my eyes goes right to it every time I pass it. It is called "Rotante Dal Foro Centrale," and was created by Italian sculptor Arnaldo Pomodoro, who has placed variations of this work throughout the world including the United Nations in New York.

Originally the globe sat at the University Art Museum,but during the building's renovation it was moved to a spot near the western gate to the university. According to the university landscape architect, Jim Horner,the globe draws attention and inquiries as to what it's meaning may be. Some have even speculated that it is a memorial to the 9/11 terrorist attacks. The sculpture was created in 1968, when the artist was teaching as a professor of art at Cal Berkeley.

It is a wonderful sculpture that brings a different emotion to me every time I view it. Sometimes a smile when I will see someone walk past it and tilt their head, or a when I see children peeking through it's center to their friends standing on the other side. It is fun to watch others enjoying art and contemplating it. Sometimes I wonder which is more interesting, to me, the art itself or the reactions others have to it. Either way, art is supposed to provoke emotion in those who view it, and this particular piece certainly does that for me.

"Rotante Dal Foro Centrale"
University Of California Campus Berkeley
Berkeley, California
November 24th, 2005
Late Afternoon

To see other works by this artist click here.

5 comments:

Karen Funk Blocher said...

I like that. I espcially like the color. Is is made of bronze?

Judith HeartSong said...

I haven't been to Berkley yet although I was close! Next time!!!! xoxoxoxox
judi

Steven said...

Neat loooking orb. Get closer :-)

I always have a hard time photographing sculpture. I'd love to play angles with that orb!

Globetrotter said...

Dear Carly,

Thank-you so much for posting this fascinating history lesson!

Personally speaking, I think it is a crime that for years Indian tribes and their histories have been trivialized. When I sold real estate back in Pa., there was a very very expensive and prestigious development of about 16 homes built upon an Indian burial ground site in Malvern. The homes were in the millions even back in the early 90's.

Unfortunately, no one disclosed to the future buyers the fact that the development had been built on this sacred site.

Fast forward 10 years and there was an uncanny problem with this development where only the rich and successful lived. Guess what it was? Over 50% of the male inhabitants invariably committed suicide after living there a few years.

I'm not making this up. It's now a real estate disclosure as it should rightfully be.

For me, I would not be comfortable shopping at your mall, as lovely as it might be, out of respect for the former inhabitants of that village.

sunflowerkat said...

I've never seen this in person. I guess I wasn't ever on campus enough. It looks wonderful! I'll have to ask Aaron if he remembers it.